Aurora Advisors Incorporated and affiliates, 1989-present. Founder.
Built a management consulting firm in New York and Sydney. Projects include:
- Managed the profitable start-up of a trading service including negotiating with prospective clients; overseeing the development of contracts; resolving back office issues; determining training and support needs; assessing pricing and likely financial results. First month's operating profits were $5 million, 5 times the fully-loaded start-up costs
- For an international credit card organization, devised improvements in governance, solicitation, training and support for their international joint venture partners (5 continents), setting the foundation for a rapid increase in growth from 12 partners to over 60
- For a top derivatives firm, identified an overlooked product area, leading to multiple transactions, typically $1 million of trading profit each
- Recommended which stock was most attractive over 3-5 year horizon of 5 possible buyers in the $1.4 billion sale of a cable business. Stock chosen appreciated over 300%; next best improved only 50%; rest held or lost value for a difference in outcomes of over $2 billion
- Successfully vetted investments for the technology investment arm of a major hedge fund, including superhard materials, advanced batteries, thin-film solar panels
- Assisted a media holding company in renegotiating a $1.5 billion joint venture, including valuation, analyzing various financing options, assessing financial and business implications of the partner's proposals
- Helped raise funds for the sale of a software business by a major bank
Sumitomo Bank, Ltd., 1987-1989. Head of Mergers and Acquisitions.
Established and led a New York-based mergers and acquisitions department
for the world's second-largest bank. As part of worldwide effort,
achieved top position in U.S.-Japan transactions in 1988 and first
half of 1989.
& Company, Inc., 1983-1987. Engagement Manager.
banking strategy and assisted Sumitomo Bank in making $500 million
investment in Goldman Sachs. Served international financial institutions
extensively on strategy, organization, assessment of acquisitions
and new ventures, and operational effectiveness projects. Evaluated
investments for the firm.
Sachs & Co., 1981-1983. Associate, Corporate Finance.
in the firm's acquisition of J. Aron & Company. Worked on 18 public
offerings, several private placements as well as real estate financings,
leveraged buy-outs, and merger and corporate finance advisory projects.
Brothers, 1980. Associate.
Divided summer between corporate finance
and mortgage finance.
Graduate School of Business Administration, 1979-1981 M.B.A. Concentrated
in Finance and General Management. Baker Scholar. Loeb Fellow (finance
College, 1975-1979 A.B. Concentrated in History and Literature
(honors major). Phi Beta Kappa (elected junior year, top 2% of class)